While the Lemania 1340 was also used by fellow SSIH (forerunner of the Swatch Group) brand, Tissot, Omega made it their own 1040 calibre by adding a 24-hour indicator inside the running seconds subdial and increasing the jewel count from 17 to 22. Omega used this movement in several watches, including the Mark IV Speedmaster and the famous Seamaster 120, aka the “Big Blue” dive chronograph. Omega also modified the calibre 1040 to use in the 1973 Speedmaster 125, which made it the world’s first chronometer-certified chronograph. Later, after Lemania passed from the hands of SSIH to Heuer, and finally to Breguet, a version of the 1340 was used in the well known Breguet Type XXI chronograph.
This Seamaster chronograph was introduced in 1971 and sold until 1974, with a blue or silver dial. It could be had on a leather or Corfam strap, or the steel bracelet you see pictured with a foldover Omega-signed clasp. Given its short run, the ST 176.001 is not a common watch to find, but a favorite among lovers of vintage Omegas who love its distinctive ‘70s shape, the blue dial and that great movement.